Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Learning Channel (TLC)

TLC is one of my favorite channels on TV. When you're flipping through the guide and something just catches your eye, like, "Half Man, Half Tree" you know you're going to want to flip to it and see what the hell it's all about! Well, today, and actually a time before this, I watched the show, "Wild Child/Feral Children" it was fantastic. It's saddening to see how people could do this to each other, let alone their own children. But, it is also a great way to get people to realize that there ARE incidents all over the world just like these. It's amazing, absolutely amazing. It's stories like these that make you realize how insensitive people can really be. How horrible the human race can actually be.

I can't embed the link I wanted to, but here is a link from YouTube about a girl named Genie. She was completely isolated as a child and finally found at age 13. Her mother kept her in a secluded room with no human interaction. You'll see how see walks, which is an affect from being strapped to a potty chair or locked in her crib for 13 years. Unbelievable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICUZN462qMw

Another link is one of Oxana Malaya. A girl who was raised by dogs after her mother kicked her out because she wasn't a boy. She lived with the families dogs. Therefore, acts out EXACTLY like a dog. It gives me chills everytime I see this video. It's quite intriguing to see how a human can learn that from a dog, but a dog cannot learn human like insticts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyqbnDjId7g

I have also been quite drawn to the violence and outrage in countries like Sudan and Darfur. I'm VERY interested in learning more about these crisis' and how I may be able to help. I would like to, in the future and if possible, travel to a country that is in need of help and make a change in someones life.
This next video is a documentary on the children in Sudan. These guys did a terrific job on it and I give them many kudos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qds5MQCqWnk

I hope that people reading this blog will get a better understanding on life itself, how there ARE in fact people out there who have it 100 times worse then they.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I love TLC for the more light hearted shows. I do realize the injustices that exist and how we need to face the tough realities of them. Thanks so much for your words of advice for me. These panic attacks are tough and new to me so I embrace all of the advice that I can get. I'll stop by and read somemore. Come on over and visit my site again sometime!

Suzanne said...

Thanks for your comment on momspark today!! You really should make them...they are SO good!!

WElcome to blogland!! Landon is super cute!!